- B.C. Home
- BC Registry Services
- Corporate Registry
- B.C. Companies
- Extraprovincial Companies
- Cooperative Associations
- Partnerships and Proprietorships
- Search and Copywork
- Information Packages
- Fee Schedule
- Business Number
- Financial Institutions and Credit Unions
- B.C. School District Business Companies
- New West Partnership Trade Agreement
- Personal Property Registry
- Manufactured Home Registry
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Contact Us
The New Societies Act
The Societies Act is new legislation that was passed in spring 2015 and will come into effect on November 28, 2016. It governs how societies (not-for-profit corporations) are created and run in B.C. and includes significant updates to allow for more flexibility in how societies operate, while still protecting the public interest.
What societies need to do: Until the new Act comes into effect on November 28, 2016, continue to use the same corporate procedures and filings, and ensure your Society’s office address and annual report filings are up to date.
Please check back regularly. Information about what your society will need to do to get ready for the new Act, including transition requirements, will be posted here as it becomes available.
If you haven’t already, we encourage you to provide us with an email address to use for future direct communication with your Society. Send it to: BCRegistries@gov.bc.ca
Preparing for BC’s New Societies Act: A Guide to the Transition Process
A guide with basic information about the transition process and other matters that societies may wish to consider over the coming months.
Schedule B Bylaws
Reporting Society Information and Provisions
Please be advised that to transition your society to the new Act you will be required to consolidate the bylaws and have them in an electronic format.
It is NOT required that a society orders a Transition Package but it may be helpful for some societies in order to consolidate their bylaws in an electronic format.
Learn more about the upcoming changes:
- Read the new Act and regulations
- Read about the new Act's impact on pre-existing societies
- See table comparing the current Society Act to the new Societies Act
- See table comparing the new Societies Act to the current Society Act
- Learn about the benefits of electronic filings under the new Societies Act
- FAQs January 2016
- FAQs July 2016
- FAQs September 2016 NEW
- Timeline on Amendments NEW
Questions? Contact us at: 1-800-663-6102
These materials provide general background information only, and are not intended as a substitute for legal advice.
Updated September 2016